Monday, August 18, 2008

Uncle Nate



This is one of my favorite pictures from our summer. I took this photo at my family's cabin; Will (L) and Owen (R) are pictured with my brother, Uncle Nate, and his fiance, Auntie Sara. Everyone is seated on Uncle Nate's four-wheeler, one of Nate's "toys" that makes him ultra cool in the eyes of his nephews. I thought it would be fitting to post this photo today since it is Nate's birthday. Although we were not able to attend his birthday dinner this evening, the boys and I gave him a call and sang the birthday song to his voicemail. The boys love this little ritual, and Nate is not the first to receive our "special-day-serenade" over the phone.

Nate is a terrific uncle -- he wrestles with the boys, gives them piggy-back rides and swings them around by their arms until they are dizzy. According to Will and Owen, he gives cool birthday and Christmas gifts, too: Whoopie cushions and play guitars, things that have Pat and I plotting our revenge concerning super annoying presents we can give Nate and Sara's kids someday. And now that Nate lives back in the Twin Cities, he often stops by just to visit with the boys, a gesture that I admire and enjoy.

Will and Owen often remind me of the younger Uncle Nate, my mischevious kid brother whom the Madwoman often referred to as "spirited." My family loves telling naughty Nate stories: the one about toddler Nate, who opened all the wrapped Christmas gifts a week before Christmas; the one about little Nate, who managed the get the screen removed from his second-floor bedroom window -- the Madwoman thought he was napping, but in reality he was throwing all of his stuffed animals and blankets out onto the power lines; the one about Nate, a can of gold (or was it silver?) spraypaint and the Madwoman's collection of antique books. While Will and Owen may not have taken their own curiosity and "spiritedness" to such extremes, their energy, fierce sense of independence and creativity cause me to recall Nate's young life in a way that brings me a lot of joy and pride. (Please remind me of this comment in the future when I am able to fill an epic-sized book of naughty Will and Owen stories.)

Nate has matured into a kind, sensitive and responsible adult. As he embarks on his own adventures in home-ownership, marriage and parenting, I hope he maintains his "spirit" because I am convinced it will bring him much happiness and success. Cheers to you, Uncle Nate ... happy birthday!

(Nate, just before his third birthday.)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Man, I always thought Will looked like a Sirek, but that photo of Nate looks an AWFUL lot like O.

I mean, I guess they're TWINS and all, so they probably should look a little alike, but still.

:)

Madwoman of Preserve Path said...

He was the child of Satan, but I always did like the bad boys.