Sunday, October 12, 2008

Can I Get a Hallelujah?

As my friend Cool Mom Meg would say, it's like a Christmas miracle. (Drum roll please...)

WE ARE DONE WITH DIAPERS!

We have been working on potty-training for nearly nine months now, and the boys were pretty well set by the time school started. However, they still needed pull-ups at night (for you non-parents out there, pull-ups are disposable underwear made of diaper material). Then Wednesday night, out of nowhere, Will declared he wanted to sleep in his underwear. Not to be outdone, Owen decided to do the same. And I'll be darned, they both made it. Through the whole night. Dry.

Will has had dry pull-ups almost every night for a few weeks now, but Owen's been a little less predictable. So I have been getting him up right before I go to bed so he can go potty. I figured that if I trained his body to wake up later at night, he could assess the situation and decide if he needed to use the potty. And over the last week, he's been getting up to go on his own. Yahoo!

Sorry if I seem sort of fixated on this potty business, but my God people, for nearly four years diapers have been a huge part of my life! For a while, when the boys were infants, we were changing upwards of 15 to 20 diapers a day. And we were spending nearly $150 per month on diapers ... over the last few months, we've spent at least $30 a month in pull-ups. Yikes! Now, we're rich! (Well, not really, since daycare and preschool pretty much knock out my paycheck.) But you get the point. This is huge!

And the boys are so proud of themselves, which is the best part about the whole deal.

1 comment:

Madwoman of Preserve Path said...

Hallelujah indeed! Up next: Growing tall enough to ditch the carseats.