Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Recession Haircuts

With the state of the slumping economy over the last few months, everyone seems to be looking for more ways to save money. I keep hearing phrases like "recession weddings" (getting married in "off-peak seasons," buying a used wedding dress on E-bay and opting for the buffet instead of the plated steak dinner) and words like "staycations" (staying home and enjoying what your own city or state has to offer -- local museums, beaches and camp sites instead of flying to a more expensive vacation destination). Even though I am choosing to remain optimistic, and even though I think the economy is slowly inching out of its hole, like anyone, I like to save a buck when I can. Enter the recession haircut.

Cool Mom Meg and her family were over for dinner a few weeks ago, and she's always cut her son's hair. When I asked her if it was difficult, she assured me I could handle giving the boys clipper cuts. After a few valuable pointers from Meg, and a trip to Target for the $30 clippers, Pat and I gave the boys buzz cuts on the patio last weekend. Their recession haircuts are not perfect, but I learned a lot. The most important part seems to be keeping the boys still, especially when trimming around the ears.

Since I usually pay around $25 each time I take the boys to a salon for haircuts, and since I feel reasonably certain that I'll cut their hair for at least the next few years, I feel like I've made a good investment with the clippers. There will be some exceptions to the recession haircuts, of course ... I may take the boys to the salon right before a couple of weddings in which they're scheduled to be ring bearers.


"Mama, are you sure you know what you're doing?"
"Of course, Owen, I read the instruction manual."


The beginning of Owen's recession haircut. His lip was still swollen from the bed-jumping incident two days before.


Will's recession haircut. Pat was far more confident with the clippers than I was.


"Are we done yet?"

You'll notice that I have no "after" pictures. The boys had had enough of the Watson Barber Shop by the time we were finished, and would not consent to a photo of their new recession haircuts. Stay tuned.

6 comments:

Pants said...

LOOK AT THAT LIP!!!!!

Pat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pat said...

You forgot the other part of the recession wedding -- I'm going to let my "insert relative with a camera here" take the pictures instead of hiring a pro.
yeah -- GREAT idea, so your memory of the recession will be blurry, out of focus, missed photos from a day you're supposed to remember your whole life.
But I'm not bitter...

James said...

Poor lil buggers.

I stand by my earlier offer for ice cream.

Tell them I used to have Davey shave my head every summer. Until the last time when he left a mohawk in it without telling me for a few hours.

Unknown said...

ALL RIGHT!
Phew, at first I thought the first pic was an "After" shot, and I wasn't sure I wanted credit for the aforementioned tips. Great job Mama (and Daddy)!

Madwoman of Preserve Path said...

Don't you remember how I cut Nate's hair like this for years? Worked like a charm.